As we continue our research on European settlement, we turn our attention to the Indigenous Australians.
Did you know…
The Aboriginal Flag was designed by Mr Harold Thomas, an elder of the Aranda Community in Central Australia. It was first flown in 1972. The top section of the flag is black and represents the Aboriginal people. The symbol of the sun is in the centre and represents the giver of life. The red at the bottom symbolises the earth.
Task: Choose 4 questions and answer them in full sentences. You may need to do a bit of research!
- Name a famous Aboriginal person. What are they famous for?
- What are three reasons why the Aborigines got sick or died when the white Europeans came to Australia?
- What does it mean to be Aboriginal?
- How do Aborigines pass on information to one another?
- What are some pieces of information you know about hunting and gathering?
- Name some things that could be hunted and some things that could be gathered.
- What information do you know about Aboriginal shelter?